Monday, May 20, 2013

Delightful Lampwork Beads!

Here is a set of lampwork beads that I developed in my wierd quirky style in cranberry pink, teal and turquoise.  I made a very similar set of beads called Elise and wanted to experiment and see what the beads would look like in this style. 
 
CIM Cranberry Pink is a gorgeous coloured glass.  One of my favourites but I do try to use it sparingly because it is very expensive.  It is also produces interesting spreading results when you use it for dots .... let me explain ...
 
 
 
I started out with a plain turquoise bead and added some small widely spaced, pale blue dots.  Normally as the dots melt into the glass they will retain their shape and remain widely spaced.  That is until I add cranberry pink dots on top of the pale blue.  The cranberry has the effect of making the dots spread until they hit the next dot and form pentagon/hexagon etc ..... shapes taking up all the available space on the bead.  A very clever effect!  This can be achieved without the cranberry by adding very large dots, close together on the surface of a bead and melting them in, but it never looks quite as effective as when you use a colour like cranberry.  It creates a very interesting pattern and also has a great effect on the colours as well. It almost concentrates the colours around the edge of the shapes ..... I have written another blog post about this glass so I will stop for now but there is more to come later .....
 
 
This is one of the reasons why I like working with glass.  There are so many different techniques and effects to experiment with.  It makes it very exciting and as long as you are not having a creative block, every moment at the torch is different.  I am one of those people that need to be challenged all the time and I thrive on this, so for me lampwork is great.  My little brain is doing star jumps trying to work out new ways to create with glass. 
 
But, all of this does come with time and from starting with the basics.  If you are new to making lampwork beads, make sure that you take time to practice making a round bead, adding equally spaced dots, experiment with colours and be patient with yourself.  It will all come with time. 
 
 
Anyway, enough of my ramblings ..... about the beads .... This is another great colour combination. Bright pink and bright turquoise balancing each other out and looking very delightful!  Hence the name ....

There are 13 beads in the set. These include 7 decorated beads and 6 spacer beads. The beads range in size from 18mm across to 9mm width to 15mm across to 8mm width. The spacer beads range from 12mm across by 7mm width to 11mm across by 5mm width. All of the beads have a 2.5mm bead hole.

These beads are available in my shop on Etsy.  All you have to do is click on one of the photographs and a link will take you there ....
 
Sarah xx
  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hypersmash.com